Coastal Roots Farm integrates Jewish tradition and sustainable agriculture to grow and share healthy food especially with those most in need, learn about and care for the land, and help strengthen connections between neighbors. Each year, we provide tens of thousands of pounds of fresh vegetables to local hunger relief efforts. Coastal Roots Farm is an independent organization created by the Leichtag Foundation to help foster a vibrant, healthy community. Our funding comes from philanthropic support and revenue from programs and social enterprises.
We envision a world in which every community comes together to grow and share healthy food, care for the land, help their neighbors, and strengthen the connections they have with each other.
At Coastal Roots Farm, we seed, we grow, and we share. We seed new ideas around sustainable farming and Jewish life; we grow healthy food; and we share the harvest with our local community.
Please visit our Employment Opportunities page to find available positions at Coastal Roots Farm.
Recent Farm News:
- Coastal Roots Farm Launches Apprenticeship Program for Young Farmers November 10, 2015 Coastal Roots Farm announced this week the launch of its new farm apprenticeship and the hiring of Simcha Schwartz, the Apprenticeship and Associate Program Director. “We’re so proud to bring such a diverse and amazing group of young farmers to this community,” said Daron ‘Farmer D’ Joffe, interim executive director of Coastal Roots Farm and ...
- CJC’s Vibrant Jewish Book Fair! November 9, 2015 What a terrific event! Former Hazon-nik Leah Koenig was here today during the Jewish Book Fair presented by San Diego Center for Jewish Culture (CJC). Koenig taught and shared a tasting of her new cookbook Modern Jewish Cooking. The event also featured a market-style setting featuring Daily Harvest Market, Yumeve, Asana Foods, OH Juice, Gourmet ...
- 4th Annual Seedstock Sustainable Agriculture Conference November 6, 2015 Innovation and the Rise of Local Foods in San Diego We were proud to sponsor this year’s the 4th Annual Seedstock Sustainable Agriculture Conference, a conference that examines the social, environmental and economic benefits arising from the confluence of agriculture innovation and escalating demand of locally grown foods. The keynote speakers included Pierre Sleiman Jr. (Go Green Agriculture), ...
- A Sukkot Harvest Festival to remember! November 5, 2015 This year’s Sukkot Harvest Festival was an incredible success! Over 1,300 people came out to enjoy the festivities despite the sudden bursts of rain throughout the day. Check out the photos below. More photos can be found on facebook at Leichtag Foundation and Coastal Roots Farm.
- Introducing Coastal Roots Farm! September 30, 2015 Dear friends, The new year has begun, and today a new chapter in our work begins. We’re proud to introduce you to Coastal Roots Farm. Coastal Roots Farm is a nonprofit educational community farm where we nourish connections—to ourselves, our neighbors, and the land. Inspired by Jewish wisdom and centuries-old agricultural traditions, we practice sustainable farming and share ...