Over the last decade, North San Diego County has seen a dramatic increase in Jewish population. This growth has been demonstrated by mostly anecdotal—but still valid—evidence. At the same time, there has been expanded interest by Jewish institutions to build on their most successful programs and serve this growth as well as by secular organizations to reach out in a targeted way to the Jewish community. In our conversations and community engagement, we know that many North County Jews feel very connected to issues of social justice, the outdoors, the environment, and seek opportunities to engage in inclusive, pluralistic welcoming environments that are open to all backgrounds.
Responding to their needs, we seek to create and foster diverse and inclusive access points for North County Coastal Jews to explore and engage with Jewish life and identity. We want North County to be a national hub of Jewish ideas, experimental initiatives and dynamic and sustained engagement. We believe North County can be a model for the Jewish community about what and how a community can grow, instigate, embolden and sustain Jewish life.
Our support of this area focuses on the following sub-strategies:
- Diverse Jewish Access Points: The Leichtag Foundation advances diverse Jewish access points in the North County Coastal region including in the areas of culture, education, gathering, relationship development, the environment, relationship with Israel and identity development and exploration. We are particularly focused on helping people live Jewish values of justice and integrating multiple interests and identities through a Jewish lens. The Leichtag Foundation supports program for individuals across the age spectrum with a focus on college students, young adults, young families, empty nesters, and seniors.
- Talent Incubation and Development: The Leichtag Foundation recognizes the importance of investing in talent, with a focus on leadership and professional development, in order to form a durable and sustainable community.
- Community Engagement: The Leichtag Foundation will continue its direct engagement and conversation with members of the North County Jewish community in order to identify and respond to needs and changing demographics.
Jewish Life in Coastal North County, San Diego Focus Group
Recent North County Jewish Life News:
- Summer Jewish Holidays at Leichtag Commons July 25, 2017 Join us for Jewish summer holidays, including Shabbat, Tisha B’Av, Tu B’Av, and Rosh Hashana La’Beheimot (New Year of the Animals) starting next week. Scroll down to learn more! The Great Outdoors Shabbat Friday August 4th, 4:30-7pm Join us for our festive summer Shabbat series on the Farm House lawn with your friends and family! The program is simple: We ...
- A Conversation With Becca Heller, International Refugee Assistance Project (IRAP) June 14, 2017 Becca Heller, Director and Co-Founder of International Refugee Assistance Project (IRAP) joined us for a conversation regarding the controversial travel ban, the recent decision by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit International Refugee Assistance Project v. Trump, and what action steps you can take to support refugees. Watch the video! Interview ...
- Coastal Roots Farm joins the #Slingshot17 National Guide June 6, 2017 Introducing the Slingshot Class of 2017 Slingshot has released Slingshot ‘17 – a collection of some of the most forward-thinking organizations found in Jewish life today.
- Coastal Roots Farm receives $10K Grant from Seeds of Change June 6, 2017 Coastal Roots Farm was selected as a winner of the Seeds of Change Favorite Farm campaign. Coastal Roots Farm received $10,000 to help fund its produce donation program, which increases access to healthy food and nutrition education to the region’s most vulnerable populations. http://www.thecoastnews.com/2017/05/29/coastal-roots-farm-wins-10k-grant/
- The Jerusalem Model, a platform of creativity for the city’s social activists, launched. April 27, 2017 Over the last decade, Jerusalem has undergone a renaissance. This powerful renewal has been driven mainly by young, social entrepreneurs who took it upon themselves to create the change they wanted to see in the city. Now, Jerusalem hosts a unique, diverse and vibrant community of civil activists working daily for the betterment of Israel’s ...