Over the last decade, North San Diego County has seen a dramatic increase in Jewish population. This growth has been demonstrated by mostly anecdotal—but still valid—evidence. At the same time, there has been expanded interest by Jewish institutions to build on their most successful programs and serve this growth as well as by secular organizations to reach out in a targeted way to the Jewish community. In our conversations and community engagement, we know that many North County Jews feel very connected to issues of social justice, the outdoors, the environment, and seek opportunities to engage in inclusive, pluralistic welcoming environments that are open to all backgrounds.
Responding to their needs, we seek to create and foster diverse and inclusive access points for North County Coastal Jews to explore and engage with Jewish life and identity. We want North County to be a national hub of Jewish ideas, experimental initiatives and dynamic and sustained engagement. We believe North County can be a model for the Jewish community about what and how a community can grow, instigate, embolden and sustain Jewish life.
Our support of this area focuses on the following sub-strategies:
- Diverse Jewish Access Points: The Leichtag Foundation advances diverse Jewish access points in the North County Coastal region including in the areas of culture, education, gathering, relationship development, the environment, relationship with Israel and identity development and exploration. We are particularly focused on helping people live Jewish values of justice and integrating multiple interests and identities through a Jewish lens. The Leichtag Foundation supports program for individuals across the age spectrum with a focus on college students, young adults, young families, empty nesters, and seniors.
- Talent Incubation and Development: The Leichtag Foundation recognizes the importance of investing in talent, with a focus on leadership and professional development, in order to form a durable and sustainable community.
- Community Engagement: The Leichtag Foundation will continue its direct engagement and conversation with members of the North County Jewish community in order to identify and respond to needs and changing demographics.
Jewish Life in Coastal North County, San Diego Focus Group
Recent North County Jewish Life News:
- 5 Ways Your Passover Seder Can Change the World April 7, 2017 5 Ways Your Passover Seder Can Change the World
- What Passover Means in 2017 April 7, 2017 What Passover Means in 2017
- You Can Make a Difference: Get Medical Help to Syrian Children April 6, 2017 Embed from Getty Images Your Donation to Just Beyond Our Borders / Israeli Flying Aid Will Be Matched by Leichtag Foundation This week, hundreds of civilians in Syria including many children and babies were brutally killed and injured in a horrifying chemical attack, the worst in several years in the ongoing humanitarian disaster in Syria. On Passover, we cherish our ...
- The Great Outdoors Shabbat – April 28th March 29, 2017 Join us for a festive Shabbat evening on the Farm House lawn with your friends and family! The program is simple: We provide the ambience, challah, candles, and song, and the rest is up to you! It’s a true picnic-style Shabbat. Bring a picnic dinner, a beverage, picnic blankets/chairs, and bring in Shabbat with a beautiful sunset in ...
- Full Video – We Were Refugees – Educate to Action March 9th March 10, 2017 https://youtu.be/TI157D0oCxY