Talent Incubation and Development: Hillel San Diego North County
Hillel San Diego North County
Through its North County programs and activities, Hillel of San Diego engages Jewish college students at CSU San Marcos, MiraCosta College, and Palomar College. Students of all backgrounds are encouraged to form deep, personal connections to Jewish life, learning and Israel, through Jewish exploration, leadership and a sense of belonging. Hillel provides critical opportunities for students to build lifelong connections with each other and the broader Jewish community.
Creative virtual programming during COVID-19 has taken many forms, involving students from North County as well as San Diego State University and UC San Diego. Examples include:
- A Jewish Mindfulness and Meditation Zoom session for the High Holidays.
- A student-led leadership development and program planning retreat.
- Mitzvah Mondays, interactive, community service projects conducted on Zoom. One session was spent assembling care packages for the homeless. A speaker from Jewish Family Service presented on homelessness in San Diego and volunteer opportunities.
- A First-Year Mentorship program that pairs new students with returning-student mentors.
- Hillel Welcome Bags for Students with COVID included treats and get-well-soon challahs.
- QuaranTeams involving 40 Jewish students from all of Hillel’s campuses, divided into teams based on interests. Teams have practiced virtual yoga, baked apple pies for Rosh Hashanah, and conducted deep discussions about Jewish values.