Join The Hive, Coastal Roots Farm, and Lipinsky Family San Diego Jewish Arts Festival for an experiential theatrical walking tour through the city of Shushan – filled with live dance, music, and merriment as we bring the ancient voices of the Purim story to life. Don’t miss an entertaining afternoon, including original performances from San Diego Ballet and vignettes curated by the San Diego Repertory Theatre!
This year will feature two show options – our first show is oriented for anyone age 8 years and up. Our second show offers the same content as the first show, but the pre and post-show experience is designed to appeal to adults. Audience costumes for all ages are welcomed and encouraged!
Tickets are $18/person and kids (18 and under) are free. Please reach out to email@example.com if ticket pricing is prohibiting your attendance. Scholarships are available.
*All reception refreshments are Kosher.
- What is Purim?
- Purim is a joyous holiday that affirms and celebrates Jewish survival and continuity throughout history. Traditionally, Purim is celebrated by reading the Book of Esther (m’gillat Esther) which tells the story of the holiday. Our story begins in Shushan, an ancient city in Persia, now Iran, 160 miles from the Tigris River. Under the rule of King Ahashverosh, Haman, the king’s adviser, plots to exterminate all of the Jews of Persia. His plan is foiled by Queen Esther and her cousin Mordechai, who ultimately save the Jews of Persia from destruction. The reading of the Purim story is often a raucous environment with cheers and boos and lots of celebrating. We have reinvented the telling of the Purim story through a series of performances that you will experience in a lively walking tour setting.
- How long is the program?
- You should plan on the designed experiences taking approximately 50 minutes from the time of your scheduled arrival. A post-show gathering is available for those who would like to stay after each performance.
- What do I need to bring and what should I leave at home?
- We encourage you to wear a good pair of walking shoes as we will be experiencing Shushan by foot. Guests will be walking on concrete, dirt, and/or mulch, so flat shoes are reccomended. Accommodations can be made for those who are not able to walk for the entirety of the experience. Due to the organic status of our farm, no animals are allowed on the property.
- Is the program appropriate for children?
- While there is not any inappropriate content in the experience, the theatrical dialogue was created for adults and older kids. However, our earlier show will have a more kid-centric feel with activities along the way! We recommend the early show to kids 8+. Please feel free to reach out with any specific questions.
- What should I expect at the reception?
- We hope you stay after the show to partake in the merriment of Purim; which will include, drinks, appetizers, and activities! Costumes are encouraged!