Through the eyes of entrepreneurs like the Leichtags, Israel was the ultimate start-up. Seventy years since the State was founded, Israel is a living example of democratic society in constant evolution, responding to new challenges and opportunities at every turn and seeking to live up to the ideals upon which it was founded.
The Leichtag Foundation focuses its efforts on engagement with Israel, providing a spectrum of opportunities to connect to the State and its people from a variety of perspectives, build relationships based on mutual interest and learn more about Israel’s culture, diversity, history, competencies and struggles. While we recognize the importance of advocacy which provides tools and resources that champion for and defend Israel on a political level, the Foundation does not support Israel advocacy activities.
Our support focuses on the following sub-strategies:
- Cultural Exchange and Engagement: The Foundation supports programs that inspire people to create and cultivate a personal connection to Israel. Our support of this area is focused on immersive educational travel opportunities that bring San Diegans to Israel and Israelis to San Diego and educational programs that promote the various dimensions of Israel and align common interests between San Diego and Israel. We have particular interest in sophisticated programs that wrestle with the complexities, opportunities and challenges that Israel faces and often which San Diego and Israel share.
- Professional Partnerships: The Foundation helps stimulate, support and catalyze content-based professional partnerships between grantees in Jerusalem and grantees in San Diego, focused on areas of professional development and exploration that such grantees share.
- Israel Studies: The Foundation focuses on the range of opportunities for the academic study of Israel on the university campus and surrounding communities and seeks to broaden and deepen the quality of formal Israel education at San Diego’s major universities. In order to stimulate other support of this area, in general, our funding is directed through the Israel Studies Field of Interest Fund at the Jewish Community Foundation of San Diego.
Recent San Diego-Israel News:
- Jewish Food Justice Fellows Hosting Sunset & Havdalah! June 12, 2018 Enjoy a sunset picnic and Havdalah at the most beautiful lookout point on Leichtag Commons, hosted by returning Jewish Food Justice Fellows! There will be song, drink, dessert, and discussion to help wrap up Shabbat and glide into the new week. Bring your favorite meal and welcome Shabbat with a sunset at the most beautiful point in Leichtag Commons, ...
- International Council of Advisors for the City of Jerusalem Launches February 17, 2017 International Council of Advisors for the City of Jerusalem Launches – eJewishPhilanthropy
- Israeli Artist, Syrian Refugee Make Art Not War In San Diego [KPBS] December 21, 2016 Israeli Artist, Syrian Refugee Make Art Not War In San Diego
- New NY-based Initiative of Jerusalem Partnerships, spearheaded by the Leichtag Foundation and Mayor’s Office, Launched December 16, 2016 New NY-based Initiative of Jerusalem Partnerships, spearheaded by the Leichtag Foundation and Mayor’s Office, Launched A new international initiative of Jerusalem partnerships has been launched by the Leichtag Foundation in partnership with Mayor of Jerusalem Nir Barkat. The initiative is part of the Leichtag Foundation’s ongoing commitment to transformative support of renewal and bridging of social ...
- Israeli rain barrels debut at EUSD farm lab February 23, 2016 We are thrilled to have helped the Encinitas Union School District’s EUSD Farm Lab become one of three schools in the county to receive Israeli-designed rain barrels as part of a pilot program being launched by the U.S.-Israel Center (USIC) at Rady School of Management, UC San Diego. Read more.